3.27.2005

Phantasmic Links 3.27.05

Hello! Hopefully all my readers celebrating Easter today had a good one, and everyone had a good weekend in general. My uncle came over, and we had a nice quiet dinner of ziti, sausage, chicken cutlets, and other assorted goodness. As I listened to my dad and my uncle compare notes on the perils of having false teeth, I felt an appreciation for my youth. On Friday, one of my friends, a saxophone player in his 70s who had recently beaten prostate cancer, told us he's glad every morning to wake up and see his face in the mirror. It reminds me of a saying my friend Bill, another musician, often uses: “youth is wasted on the young.” I need to get out and do SOMETHING before I'm one of these old guys I hang around with, but I'm not sure what. I, like them, may not even realize that I am living my life. There's something about being a musician that keeps people young. Maybe it's the fresh air, or the exercise, but these old-timers are going strong long after I'm feeling tired. I know one clarinet player in New Jersey who, at the age of 93, will still go out and play a twelve hour procession. Old musicians may possess wisdom and endurance, but I bet I'm still a better surfer. On that note, here are this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

Even if it goes straight to DVD, I'm anxiously awaiting the U.S. release of the movie sequel to the greatest Final Fantasy game of all time.

This Episode III trailer with L33T speak subtitles had me ROFL like a n00b. Definitely check it out while it lasts. Hat tip to Sarcasmo's Corner.

Kev Bayer finds some great quizzes. Here are my results from his latest:
B. A. Baracus
You are 59% crazy and 60% bad-assed.
I pity the fool who needs any explanation of who you are.
You carry your entire intestinal tract on your sleeve, and children love your honesty and guidance. Though not as crazy as some, you're still a little off, but you've got the brawn to back it up. Nobody can argue with you, you mountain of golden bling!

My test tracked 2 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:
You scored higher than 64% on lunacy
You scored higher than 68% on bad-itude
Link: The 'Which A-Team member are you?' Test written by wm_the_bloody on Ok Cupid


I love a game that makes you use your brain while floating through an alien environment. There are hints and cheats built in, but it's honestly more fun to work it out for yourself. The only hint I'll offer is that sometimes the letter for the keyboard shortcut that's paired with the alien symbol may also be the first letter of the translated word. It's fun, funny and challenging.

ANYTHING can be made into art. This guy's work, made entirely from things found in nature, is as fascinating to look at as it is transient.

”Are you asking for a CHALLLLLENGE?!”

This may be the MOST ADDICTIVE LINK I've ever posted. This is one of those things that makes a person truly appreciate the power of the internet. I lost hours today making my own “name that tune” quizzes, marveling at how almost anything could be found. You name it, it's there. Nirvana. Temple of the Dog. Even William Hung. I told my mom about it and was quickly playing her requests: Guy Lombardo. Tommy Dorsey. Rodgers and Hammerstein. About halfway through an Andy Williams quiz I decided to have a little fun, and switched it to O.D.B. As a sample of ”Shimmy Shimmy Ya” boomed from my computer's speakers she merely smiled, and said, “That doesn't sound like 'Moon River'.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home