2.16.2005

Short-lived Sitcom Showcase

I'd like to lead off with a disclaimer today that I am in fact productive, and get a decent volume of work done at my job. Today I finalized two book jackets, created six flyers, designed an envelope, and implemented final corrections on a 24 page catalog. That being said, I spent about two hours this morning in an e-mail discussion with coworkers about sitcoms.

Sometimes I get too caught up in personal conversations at work. I used to get annoyed with my neighbor in my old cubicle for constantly talking to family members, but I probably talk just as much if not more when I should be working. E-mail is just a LOT quieter. It doesn't impact on my work too much. I rarely get done at 5, but then I rarely get in at 9. Even if I was done by 5 I'd have to kill some time before going down to the gym. The later I go the less crowded it is, and the less fit people there are to snicker at my attempts to get in shape. As long as I get out of the building by 7-7:30 and get home in time for dinner and prime-time, I'm happy. Sometimes I get burned out with my work too, and things take longer than they should. An e-mail from a friend is a welcome mental diversion, and sometimes clears my head. I've had entirely unproductive days where I've buckled down at 4 PM and gotten more done in an hour or two than I had all day, because my mind was clear. I could go on justifying my erroneous ways, but two paragraphs is more than enough of a tangent for one evening.

Curt posed an interesting question to his co-workers this morning: “Besides All in the Family, which spawned Maude which in turn spun off Good Times, how many other shows have second generation spinoffs?” It was a great question, and one open to debate, especially about whether or not the Star Trek franchise counted by Curt's definition. I also learned a lot. I've seen reruns of All in the Family and of Good Times. I've never seen Maude and only heard of it years later, and definitely didn't know Good Times was a spin-off. In all fairness though, I wasn't even born when any of these shows first premiered. I have to give Rey a lot of credit for remembering a particularly short-lived spin off of The Jeffersons, Checking In. The show only lasted four episodes and Rey may have been thinking of 227, but it fit what Curt was looking for, nonetheless. Ultimately, I found a chart breaking down the various spinoffs, and was able to do all that real work I spoke of earlier. It did have me thinking about some of the more short-lived shows that I remember though:

The Good Life was offbeat, quirky and different, and while the family aspect of the show was somewhat standard, the real humor came from the father and his interactions with his employees at his lock factory, most notably Drew Carey. Monty Hoffman's one-liners which always were structured “Who are you, ____ _____?” with the blanks varying were pretty funny. Drew's character as I recall was popular with the ladies and I remember him explaining the presence of a beautiful girl on his arm to his friends: “She likes me because I look like a professional bowler.” The show only lasted 13 episodes, but a year later the best part of the show had his own series, which would fare much better.

The Golden Palace is an inexplicable Golden Girls spinoff which I didn't even recall until coming across it today. The show was on a different network, lasted for one season, and lacked Bea Arthur. That didn't bother me other than the fact that it made it odd that her character's mother, Estelle Getty's Sophia, would now be running a hotel with her daughter's friends and, for some reason, Cheech Marin. If only I were making this up....

I liked The John Larroquette show. It had a great ensemble, and it was good to see SOMEONE from Night Court still working. It lasted longer than the other sitcoms in this list, but by the fourth season had lost all momentum. It also introduced me to the talent of Chi McBride.

Flying Blind lasted a single season, and the only thing I really remember about it is that Téa Leoni was this really, really hot nymphomaniac who falls in love with a short, neurotic ad exec. Oh what this then college freshman would have given to be that short neurotic ad exec. I'm still short, still neurotic, and sort of work in advertising, and yet somehow she's with Fox Mulder.

I'm having a lot of fun with this topic, but I'm running out of space and time. I think I'll list some more short-lived sitcoms tomorrow. Consider tomorrow's post....a spin-off.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

btw - what a great site...thanks for laughs!

random rabbit to chase - I wonder how many lame spin-offs Friends will create? Joey probably isn't going to make it.

Quick question for the judges - does Friends count as a spin-off from Mad About You because of Phoebe/Lisa Kudrow's character?

2/17/2005 12:49 AM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

You did all of that work in one day? Six flyers and all of that other stuff? Do you do a weekly status report for your boss enumerating everything you did? If not, you should. That's a boat-load. You should get a promotion this time around.

2/17/2005 9:54 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

I actually raised the same point over the course of the e-mail discussion with my co-workers. I don't think it technically counts as a spinoff since it occured many episodes in as an afterthought, and because Ursula wasn't one of the principle characters; her sister was. I think at best it established that the shows were in the same universe, like the old Golden Girls/EmptyNest/Nurses crossovers used to do, or when a blackout hit Friends, Mad About You, Seinfeld and something else(The Single Guy?)

(Sitcom crossovers--now THERE'S a blog entry for another day.)

Joey could be better, but yeah I don't think it's going to cut it. I would have watched Chandler and Monica in the suburbs with Joey living above the garage, maybe giving Chandler's son advice and getting jukeboxes to work by hitting them. :) Not sure I'd want to see any other Friends in their own show--Ross and Rachel dominated the series enough and I got sick of them early on, and Phoebe and Mike I don't think have enough of a story to really carry a series. Maybe if Gunther moves to Seattle and takes over a Starbucks,,,,

2/17/2005 11:16 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Meant to answer Jerry's inquiry yesterday but didn't get to it.

I used to do a weekly status but now it's bimonthly. I handle the same workload as any other AD in my position, and no at my last yearly review in January I still haven't gotten my promotion, largely in part to me not participating in enough(any) extra projects last year, and probably due to budgetary reasons as well.

It sounded like more work than it was too. This cycle none of my flyers are 8 page digests; they're all 2 sided 5x7 and 7x10s, and 2 are preview flyers which take all of five minutes to design--I just change the book on the front and design a headline with an appropriate font on the back, and I'm done.

2/18/2005 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home