2.03.2005

Happy Day.

No, I haven't heard whether or not I am in fact moving, although I began throwing some things away just in case. Nor have I gotten a girlfriend, although an enthusiastic smile and a wave from an old friend was somewhat cheering. I didn't win the lottery, or get a new car, or discover that long hours in front of a computer can burn calories, restore hair, and increase height. It was a typical day at a typical job in my typical life, and everything just seemed right with the world. I wish any of the examples from the possible to the improbable were the reason for the title of today's entry, but instead it's something as lame as spending two hours watching a Happy Days reunion.

I loved Happy Days as a kid, and it's a perfect example of “they don't have shows like that anymore.” Seriously. Thirty years after their conclusion, I doubt we'll see reunion specials examine the relevancy of Ned and Stacy, Flying Blind, or Jesse. My formative years were very confusing, television-wise. Here was a series set in the ‘50s that ran in the ‘70s. It started when I was born so by the time I was old enough to watch in syndication, there were still some newer episodes on primetime. Because of the look and feel of the show, I assumed it was from “my parents’ time”. It was strange to see them as little kids in some episodes and a lot older in newer ones, since I didn't understand the concept of reruns just yet. It was weird to see the actors on talk shows and wonder why they hadn't aged. I will say after watching the special tonight, that they all aged remarkably well(granted, Erin Moran was much cuter when she was younger). Marion Ross always looks exactly the same and save for the bald dome beneath his cap, Ron Howard has his boyish face as well. My mom's trademark phrase of “he got old!” or “she got old!” was used sparingly during this viewing.

It was a great show from better times, and spawned a healthy amount of spin-offs during its own run. Laverne & Shirley, who I'd think of anytime I woke up from a disturbing nightmare as a little boy. Mork and Mindy: downstairs I still have the board game, I'm sure. Joanie Loves Chachi. They showed the opening credits tonight, probably the sappiest Donnie-and-Marie-esque spectacle I've ever seen. I had blocked that from memory—actually my only recollection of the show is that she once cooked for him and he got sick, and then everyone was relieved to find out it was bad oysters and not her cooking. Maybe it's good that sitcoms have evolved after all, come to think of it. Tonight's special also showed the Saturday morning cartoon Fonz and the Happy Days Gang. I can't remember this show, although I definitely have comics with ads for it. Strangely, they didn't mention other spinoffs I've come across online, Out of the Blue and Blanksy's Beauties.

Of course, they spoke about ”jumping the shark” and how they went on to have 100 more episodes after that milestone(without mentioning the quality of those episodes). Chuck 1 and Chuck 2 appeared, with no real resolution as to what happened to the eldest Cunningham child. Pat Morita was there; Al Molinaro was not. Most conspicuously absent from the reunion was Ted McGinley, but maybe they didn't want to jinx things.(Although I liked Jefferson better than Steve).

Hard to believe it was thirty years since Happy Days began. It was great seeing clips of Fonzie and his “powers”. Before I fantasized about being a superhero to impress girls, I used to fantasize about being the Fonz. He'd just snap his fingers and get kisses. He could hit a jukebox and get songs to play. In one clip tonight in an alley he hits a brick wall and astonishes Richie by shutting off every light in an office building. Another fondly-remembered sequence shows him trying to sleep on a camping trip with the sounds of the animals around him, and a simple “Cool it!” from him gets nature itself to settle down. Now that was cool. Riding in circles in my basement on my big wheel saying “aaay!” and “Bucko!” and pretending to save girls in my class from imaginary bikers: not so cool.

2 Comments:

Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

I didn't know about the special as I don't have a TV signal where I live. I will have to see if I can find it elsewhere. Wow, 30 years....I grew up watching Happy Days and, despite its hokiness, have many fond memories of it. Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy were the only spinoffs I watched. I recently got ahold of a copy of the first pilot for Happy Days (featuring a different Mr. C) and it's pretty interesting to watch.

2/04/2005 9:02 AM  
Blogger Mike Wood said...

Watched the Happy Days reunion last night here in London, Ontario. Had pretty much the same reactions as you did. Nice to see the clips and the Fonz do his thing.

Cheers.

Mike

2/04/2005 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home