1.27.2005

Synch

Netflix has been slow lately or rather, the mail has been slow. Usually I'd get a movie the day after I received the e-mail that it was on its way, regardless of their 2-day estimate. Now their estimates are even longer. When I was told to expect Clockstoppers by next Monday, I expected it would be waiting for me when I got home from work tonight. It wasn't, but there's still tomorrow or Saturday. In the meantime, I had plenty of new DVDs to watch that I'd gotten with a Best Buy gift card my folks gave me for Christmas. I spent the better part of this evening watching the Superman animated series from the late '90s. That doesn't seem like nearly ten years ago, yet somehow it is.

On the ride home I was mentally composing a post about the movie I thought I would be watching, and about the practical applications of freezing time. Lately, it seems I don't get out of work until at least 6:30. It could be my workload. It could be that I get in at 9:30. I could be that I take more than an hour for lunch. In all likelihood it's a healthy combination of all of the above. Still, if I could freeze time, I could sleep in, take my time eating and showering, and get to work on time. If emergencies or added revisions sidetracked me from the days plans, I could handle those AND the stuff I wanted to tackle. I could even take a Siesta if it took too much out of me.

As I was pondering these ideas, I remembered the show Out of This World, a sitcom which featured a beautiful girl named Evie with a half-alien lineage. As a result of her father being from another planet, she had the power to stop time. I vaguely remember her getting other abilities as the show went on, but that was the main one. She'd just touch her index fingers together and everything would freeze. VERY useful. I was in high school at this time and homework often took me 3-4 hours to complete. Math I could get done in about a half hour; that was my best subject. I struggled with the other five though, especially social studies which required lengthy essays. I often wished I could freeze time, get the work done, and go out and play while the sun was still up. Alas, that was never to be on a school night. It's funny how I often fantasized about powers to make practical things easier. Real life requires a lot of patience and accountability, and those are some of the hardest things to accept growing up. It takes time, and there are no shortcuts.

As I started singing the show's theme song tonight for some reason, ”Would You Like to Swing on a Star,” I discovered that it synched up quite well with what was on my radio at the time, Weezer's ”Hash Pipe”. I'm probably not going to be creating a Mash-up any time soon like Beatallica or The Beastles, but it was a cool discovery nonetheless.

This concludes tonight's installment of obscure reminiscences and unusual observations.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Netflix thing is part Winter mail slowness and part drop zone specific. You and Curt seem to be in a slower drop zone than me. Except for a few rarities, I can put 3 movies in my mailbox Monday morning and receive 3 new ones in Wednesday's mail.

I loved that show "Out of This World!" It was cute. And I always did want that power to stop time. Oh, the ways my mind would come up to use that power while sitting in junior high history class...

Jerry

1/28/2005 8:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know you obviously made this blog forever ago but I just needed to say that I have been talking about the show "Out of this World" to people for years and its far and few between who actually remember the fact that Evies daddy was actually an alien. However if people remember it at all, I am impressed. The best part of the theme song of course is the insertion of the 'whoah oh ohs' in between verse parts. So, um ya, thanks for mentioning this show somewhere amongst your blogging. Very intriguing by the way.

3/28/2007 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home