11.18.2004

Yooooo Joe!

I liked G.I.Joe as a kid because I liked Transformers. The cartoons aired back to back when I was a kid and, both Sunbow productions, shared most of the same voice talents as well as a lot of background music by Rob Walsh,, including a generic rock tune I'd also heard anytime Peter Parker went to a party on Spider-man. The Joe cartoon was good, but probably not something I would have been into were it not for the connections between the two shows. Still, I have many fond memories of the series, such as the Dreadnoks and Joes facing off in a hockey game to secure a key component of Destro's Weather Dominator. And I loved the Marvel comics written by Larry Hama, which outlived the cartoon as well as the Transformers cartoons and comics.

G.I. Joe had a richer, longer history in American popular culture than I realized as a 10 year old though. I didn't know about the older larger figures with the ”Kung-fu grip” back then. The other day my friend Curt sent me a link to an interesting article. It seems the old Joes are being inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame. Yo Joe!

Join me tomorrow when I explore G.I.Joe and Transformer crossovers in greater detail...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home